We are proud to announce the 23rd Annual Minnesota GIS/LIS Consortium Conference and Workshops, October 9 to 11, 2013 in Rochester, Minnesota. The event will feature instructor-led workshops, technical sessions, panel discussions, technology demonstrations, project updates and national speakers. All are geared toward professionals interested in learning more about geographic information systems and land information systems technology in Minnesota and beyond.
- Robust selection of instructor-led workshops, both hands-on and lecture style.
- Full tracks of conference sessions covering a wide range of topics including environmental applications, GIS for transportation & utilities, GIS in government, mobile GIS, emergency management, web development, open source, vendor product demonstrations, and fast paced "Lightning Round” presentations.
- A competition among GIS/LIS scholarship winners with substantial cash prizes awarded. Both undergraduate and graduate student competitors will give project presentations during a dedicated student track.
- Nationally recognized, dynamic, and inspirational keynote speakers.
- An exhibit hall featuring a variety of exhibitors showcasing their latest GIS/LIS related hardware, software, products and services.
- A vendor reception featuring complimentary hors d’oeuvres, a cash bar and a variety of prizes.
- Industry specific Birds of a Feather meetings.
- Entertainment events and the always popular Thursday Night Networking Event.
- New for 2013: The Geolounge! A place to sit back, review sessions, check e-mail, or talk GIS with fellow attendees. Please join us – and spread the word far and wide – because the 2013 MN GIS/LIS Conference and Workshops will be packed with quality learning, networking and socializing experiences!
Explorer, Educator, Photographer
9:00 a.m. Thursday, Oct. 10, 2013
Witness to Global Warming
Will Steger, world renowned polar explorer, educator, photographer, writer and lecturer will present a retrospective of a life in the arctic regions of the world. He has logged thousands of miles of travel by dogsled and has become a voice calling for understanding and the preservation of the arctic. The presentation "Eyewitness to Global Warming,” is his vivid account of the changes that he’s witnessed firsthand, caused by global warming pollutants, in Arctic regions over four decades of polar exploration. Steger shares stunning photographs from his expeditions along with compelling data and satellite imagery to document the deterioration in the polar ice caps. While the issue is critical, and the presentation is dramatic, Steger’s message is one of hope and empowerment. An understanding of our role in the causes and effects of global warming make this personal. But as Steger explains, solutions are readily available and by making economically and environmentally smart choices people can make a difference.
Adventure, Traveller, Filmmaker
12:00 p.m. Friday, Oct. 11, 2013
Adventures Far Away
J.J. Kelley is a distinguished filmmaker and adventurer. A producer at National Geographic Television (NGT), Kelley has been contributing to the production of original content for The National Geographic Channel, NOVA, and PBS. Some of his shows include The President’s Photographer, Darwin’s Darkest Hour, and an upcoming one-hour special investigating the illicit trade in elephant ivory, Battle for the Elephants.
He is also the co-creator of the adventure production company, Dudes on Media. His award winning feature documentaries have aired NBC Universal Sports, PBS, Outside TV and 10 international television networks, in addition to winning over 20 film festival awards including The Spirit of Independence at the 2012 Fort Lauderdale Internationl Film Festival. Paddler Magazine called his Emmy-nominated second film, Paddle to Seattle "the best feature film about paddling produced in the past decade.”
Kelley is an Appalachian Trail Thru-hiker, biked across Alaska, kayaked from Alaska to Seattle, and traveled the length of The River Ganges. He regularly stops in the studios as a guest on National Geographic Weekend to share his most recent adventures.
- All workshops will be held on Wednesday, Oct. 9, at the Mayo Civic Center Suites.
- Check-in for workshops begins at 7:30am Wednesday morning in the North Lobby of the Mayo Civic Center. Refreshments will be provided.
- The morning workshops begin at 9:00am and will conclude by 12:15pm; the afternoon workshops begin at 1:15pm and will conclude by 4:30pm.
- Workshop registration fee includes lunch. Lunches for all workshop attendees will be provided at the Mayo Civic Center at 12:15pm.
- All data and materials for the workshops will be provided by the instructors.
- All hands-on workshops in 2013 will be Bring Your Own Laptop (except for Managing Parcels in ArcGIS), if you would like to attend one of these workshops you will need to have a laptop that you can bring to the class. We will be working closely with the instructors of the hands-on workshops to make the materials for those workshops available before October 9th for installation on attendee’s laptops.
- View Workshops
- All concurrent sessions will be held Thursday, Oct. 10 and Friday, Oct. 11, at the Mayo Civic Center.
- Check-in for the conference begins at 7:30am. During this time refreshments will be served in the North Lobby.
- Concurrent sessions on Thursday are from 10:30am-12:00pm; 1:30pm-3:00pm; and 3:30pm-5:00pm.
- Concurrent sessions continue Friday morning at 8:30am and conclude at 12pm.
- View Concurrent Sessions
Important Deadlines and Dates:
- Online conference registration begins 8/16
- Early registration rate ends 9/16
- Hotel block rates end 9/17
- Online registration closes 10/7
- Workshops day: 10/9
- Conference days: 10/10 and 10/11
- Aerial Services, Inc.
- Aero-Metric, Inc.
- Applied Imagery
- Ayres Associates, Inc
- Frontier Precision, Inc.
- Minnesota Geospatial Info. Office
- North Point Geographic Solutions
- Pro-West & Associates, Inc
- Rowekamp Associates, Inc.
- WSB & Associates, Inc.
Registering Multiple People?
MN GIS/LIS is pleased to offer multi-registration for those agencies who are bringing many members to this great event.
In order to register a member from your organization, they first need to be in our database so we have their contact information. If you need to review your current list of members, please click here. If you need to add a contact, please do so before you begin registration so you can complete all registrations in one transaction!
You will be able to select the main conference fee for each member who is attending. You will get a confirmation as will each person you register. Please make sure that each attendee reviews’ their receipt and registration summary. Attendees do need to log in and complete any workshops they wish to attend and additional registration fields for our event planners. Please make sure to remind them to complete this important step – administrators are not able to do this on behalf of the members attending.
Click here to watch a short webinar about how to register for the conference using the new website.
Hilton Garden Inn Rochester Downtown
225 South Broadway
Rochester, MN 55904
Rates: $102 king room or 2 double room
Cut off date: Sept. 17, 2013.
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Rochester - Mayo Clinic Area
150 South Broadway
Rochester, MN 55904
Rates: $104 king room or 2 double room
Cut off date: Sept. 17, 2013.
Holiday Inn Downtown
220 South Broadway
Rochester, MN 55904
Rates: 98$ Double Room
Cut off Date: Sept. 8, 2013
MN GIS/LIS Consortium 2013 Conference & WorkshopsRochester , MN United States