U of M Job Fair a Success!
By Sara Dolan, University of Minnesota GIS Student Organization
The University of Minnesota’s GIS Student Organization (GISSO) held its sixth Annual Career and Networking Fair on March 29, 2007. This free event was held on campus at the St. Paul Student Center and provided a forum that allowed over 90 participants to network with one another and discuss various aspects of GIS and its many applications.
This year was the first to host a series of speakers:
- Understanding GIS in the Job Market – Where do you fit?
Nikki Paripovich Stifle (ESRI)
- Using GIS Data in Google Earth
Sally Wakefield (1,000 Friends of Minnesota and GIS/LIS Consortium)
- GIS and Comprehensive Planning: A look at Carver County
Jesse Reinhardt (Carver County)
- Community GIS in the Twin Cities and Beyond
Jeff Matson (U of M Center for Urban and Regional Affairs)
The presentations provided a balanced perspective into varying applications of GIS and were very popular among our participants.
The following organizations staffed booths at the event, providing information to participants and giving students, faculty and employers an opportunity to interact and share knowledge as well as experiences pertaining to GIS:
- American Society for Photogrammetry & Remote Sensing
- City of Rosemount
- Hedberg Maps
- Hennepin County
- Minnesota Department of Natural Resources
- Minnesota Department of Transportation
- Minnesota GIS/LIS Consortium
- Saint Mary’s University
- United Properties
- U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
- U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service
- University of Minnesota Remote Sensing and Geospatial Analysis Laboratory
We would like to thank the GIS/LIS Consortium for providing an event grant that helped to sponsor the career and networking fair, as well as all the individuals and organizations who contributed their time and expertise.
For more information about GISSO, contact Sara Dolan, email@example.com