|U of M Job Fair a Success!
By Tony Drollinger, University of Minnesota GIS Student Organization
The University of Minnesota’s GIS Student Organization (GISSO) held its eighth Annual Career and Networking Fair on April 7, 2009. This free event was held on campus at Coffman Union and provided a forum that allowed participants to network with one another and discuss various aspects of GIS and its many applications.
This year hosted a range of speakers:
- Mapping the McMurdoDryValley of Antarctica
Paul Morin (Department of Geology)
- Spatial Data and GIS in Business Marketing Systems
Andy Jenks (Department of Forest Resources)
- Resume and Career Planning Workshop
Noro Andriamanalina (UMN Academic and Professional Development)
- Modeling Net Ecosystem Production of Corn and Soybean Fields using Satellite Remote Sensing
Jennifer Corcoran (Graduate Student, Department of Soil Water and Climate)
The presentations provided a balanced perspective into varying applications of GIS and were very popular among our participants.
The following organizations staffed booths at the event, providing information to participants and giving students, faculty and employers an opportunity to interact and share knowledge as well as experiences pertaining to GIS:
- American Society for Photogrammetry & Remote Sensing
- Best Buy
- CFANS Graduate Programs
- Eastview Cartographic
- GIS Rangers
- HDR Engineering
- JSA GIServices
- Minnesota Department of Natural Resources
- Minnesota Department of Transportation
- Minnesota GIS/LIS Consortium
- Saint Mary’s University of Minnesota
- U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service
- University of Minnesota MGIS
- University of Minnesota Remote Sensing and Geospatial Analysis Laboratory
- U.S. Geological Survey
- WSB & Associates
We would like to thank the MN GIS/LIS Consortium for providing an event grant that helped to sponsor the career and networking fair, as well as all the individuals and organizations who contributed their time and expertise.