Summer 2010

The Newsletter of the Minnesota GIS/LIS Consortium

Table of Contents

MN GIS/LIS Consortium

From the Chair
Conference Planning 
Scholarship Update
Annual Report Online

GLO Field Note Project
LiDAR update
FSA Photos 2010

Commendation Nominations

Metro Air Photo Update

Eagan Tracks Diseased Trees
Goodhue Co Historical Features

Higher Education
GISSO Job Fair Report



Minnesota LiDAR Mapping Project Update
By Tim Loesch, Minnesota Department of Natural Resources

The Minnesota High Resolution Elevation Mapping project got underway this spring! The first phase of the project focuses on the Minnesota River Basin and encompasses 17,000 square miles across 25 counties in southwest Minnesota (see graphic). This project was funded by the Clean Water Fund of the Clean Water, Land and Legacy Amendment.

The early and rapid onset of spring accompanied by flooding and persistent snow cover was a challenge for the data collection team. In all, data covering 80% of the project area was collected before crop (primarily alfalfa) and vegetation leaf-out forced acquisition to be halted. The remaining 20% of the project area will be collected this fall.
Local partners provided critical ground condition information throughout the data collection period. Photographs of lilac bushes, trees and ground cover were taken throughout the project area and sent to the project team. These images proved to be critical pieces of information that guided the project team’s decisions.

Data processing is underway and product delivery is expected to start sometime this fall. Data will be checked for consistency and accuracy prior to general distribution.

The project team is currently planning the next mission scheduled for the spring of 2011. Please visit the project
webpage for up-to-date details on project status.