Table of Contents
MN GIS/LIS Consortium
From the Chair
DNR Garmin Evolves to DNRGPS
MnDOT Tracks Invasive Bittersweet
2010 Population Maps
More Economic Data
Water Trails Maps
Twin Cities GECCo Report
Nat'l Historical GIS Updates
GIS Day at UM-Duluth
URISA Salary & Tech Survey
From the Chair
By Ben Verbick, 2012 MN GIS/LIS Board Chair
It’s a fresh new year for your MN GIS/LIS Consortium. Not that 2011 was stale - far from it! The 2011 Consortium Board, Conference Committee and all other committees and volunteers worked tirelessly to bring our membership several very successful events, help sponsor outreach for other GIS-related activities around the state, raise funds for scholarships, manage the general business of the Consortium, and wrap up the year with another great annual conference. The bar has been set high for 2012.
It’s nearly impossible to thank all of our members who deserve recognition for their volunteer efforts throughout the past year. So, to hold to an annual tradition of the incoming Chair, I would like to extend a sincere thank you to all of the members of last year’s Board for their dedication to the Consortium and its goals. And, of course, to Sarah Schrader, the 2011 Chair for her energy and enthusiasm. She has set a great example for me to follow.
I also wish to recognize Steve Benson who is “retiring” from Consortium Board service after 11 years as a passionate and dedicated active member of the Board. Thank you, Steve.
Below is your current Board of Directors. It’s a great group that is looking forward to meeting the goals and challenges of this year.
2012 Board of Directors
- Ben Verbick, Chair – LOGIS
- Joshua Gumm, Chair-elect – Scott County
- Sarah Schrader, Past Chair Ex Officio – Goodhue County
- Kari Geurts, Treasurer – Minnesota Department of Natural Resources
- Catherine Hansen, Secretary – University of St. Thomas
- Alison Wieckowicz, Conference Chair – Minnesota Department of Transportation
- Derek Lorbiecki, Conference Chair-Elect – Hennepin County
- Stacey Stark, Higher Education – University of Minnesota - Duluth
- Bart Richardson, State Government – Minnesota Department of Natural Resources
- Michelle Trager, Local Government – Rice County
- Blaine Hackett, Private Sector – Flat Rock Geographics
- Heather Bergen, At-Large – WSB & Associates, Inc.
- Nancy Rader, MnGeo Ex Officio – Minnesota Geospatial Information Office
- Gerry Sjerven, MN Statewide Geospatial Advisory Council Ex Officio – NRRI, University of Minnesota - Duluth
Our new Board has already been hard at work. Spring workshops are approaching fast so we’ll be on the hunt for volunteers to sit on the workshop committee. Other committees are already taking shape and will continue to evolve throughout the early spring so watch our website and e-announcements and visit our social media sites on Facebook
to stay current, participate, and volunteer.
I hope you’ve noticed that the word “volunteer” appears a few times. I can’t begin to estimate the combined total of volunteer hours that go into the activities of the MN GIS/LIS Consortium, but I imagine that it’s staggering. And, of course, it’s all worth the effort to our membership. Please consider becoming a part of this earth-moving crowd if you have not yet already committed to doing so. For those who are or have been an active volunteer, thank you again.
“There are three kinds of people in the world; those who make things happen, those who watch things happen, and those who say “what happened?”